this is my shameless “consider alternative modes of transportation to work plug as an urban planner” :
one of my favorite parts of work could be getting to work without a car. when i was commuting further, taking the rail, bus, or walking was great. there’s something about public transit that is very therapeutic and gives me time to unwind. i know many of you might beg to differ. but taking transit, you:
- save $$ on gas, car maintenance, lower insurance,
- keep your vehicle mileage at bay (better car resale value)
- don’t have to worry about getting into car accidents or getting pulled over
- get exercise (instead of sitting in your car all morning/evening)
- save the environment
- get to see and meet lots of different ppl – be challenged in society with different ppl!
- get to have someone drive you around (think of it as a taxi service yo!, it’s all in the perspective)
transit is great. however, at my current job in a small, suburban town, transit is not a viable option. i currently live 1 mile away from work. so, i decided to give biking a go! let me tell you, BEST DECISION EVER. every morning i get:
- free exercise.
- to work refreshed after an easy morning ride.
- to save $$ by not paying for gas, car maintenance, lower insurance, etc.
- to know i’m doing something good for the environment.
- priority on the road!
- to be known as the bike lady. (<– highly coveted position)
all great things. all this to say, consider other methods of commuting to work, friends!